Re: [OM] IMG: Sunday At The Gates Of Hell

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunday At The Gates Of Hell
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:55:38 -0400
I tried focus stacking a couple of time without much success.  I was
using CombineZ for the stacking but the failures were not due to the
software.  My most frustrating failure was trying to shoot a branch cut
from my neighbor's crabapple tree when it was in full bloom.  I had cut
off the tip of a small branch leaving a cluster of leaves and blossoms
about 12-15" long.  I had the foresight to put the cut end of the branch
into a jar with water since I realized loss of water would cause
drooping.  I set up the scene with a black background and shot the whole
thing in natural light coming from my porch windows.  I
expected good looking stuff.  It was from an exposure standpoint.  The
individual shots were fine.  But the failure was not anticipating the
amazing amount of droop of the petals and leaves despite being watered.
  In the 1/2 hour or so it took me to cut the branch, get everything set
up  and make the sequence of exposures the petals and leaves had drooped
enough that the software couldn't line everything up... there were ghost
images throughout.

I'll try again someday, maybe using PhotoShop since it now supposedly
does focus stacking.  I'll also get everything set up ahead of time. :-)

Chuck Norcutt

On 7/16/2012 1:49 PM, Bob Adler wrote:
> Thanks Chuck. I think I'm always a bit disappointed with Scheimpflug,
> though I shouldn't be. I want it all to be crispy clear. I think the
> only way to really achieve that these days is to blend multi-focus
> exposures. I'll be playing with that next, but it's tough when
> anything is moving around (like people or wind blown foliage). Thanks
> for taking a look and commenting Chuck, Bob
>
> Bob Adler www.rgaphoto.com
>
> On Jul 16, 2012, at 6:45 AM, Chuck Norcutt
> <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Looks like you've already had as much practice as you need. :-)
>>
>> I have a lengthy book on using the view camera but that's as close
>> as I've ever gotten to the subject.
>>
>> Chuck Norcutt
>>

>> On 7/16/2012 2:34 AM, Robert Adler wrote:
>>> Too bright of a day to really do much else than play around.
>>> Just practicing my Scheimpflug maneuvers.
>>> http://www.rgaphoto.com/benches/content/SundayAtTheGatesOfHellBW_large.html

C&C always appreciated,