Re: [OM] FF vs OM-D [was Push Pins in Color]

Subject: Re: [OM] FF vs OM-D [was Push Pins in Color]
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:03:19 +0200
Three weeks ago I bought a used e-m5 (the guy *needed* a x-pro1) with
12-50mm.

I'm now in Venice and very happy with it. I already was a Pen convict, and
sold my e-30 and several 4/3 lenses to fund this e-m5.

As every digital camera has user interface quirks, I agree with Michael
that it is about the whole package.

Currently, I have great fun with the touch screen direct shutter access
interface, with which (and the 90 degree swivel screen and quite silent
shutter) I can take pictures quite easily where it is forbidden (in most of
the museum and churches I've visited so far). You do have to disable the
eye sensor because otherwise when you move your finger in the neighbourhood
of the VF, the lcd is deactivated (I guess the skipped the lcd elevatoin
sensor ;-). It is neat that it focusses right where you tab the screen and
then fires the shutter.

At 1600 asa, it focusses fast enough in darker interiors that you get sharp
pictures with reasonable IQ. The ibis will help I guess. Not the best, but
heaven compared to the Pens. I should compare it, but I think it betters
the original 5D.

The evf is better then the Pen's, mostly because I use the OM-4 style
finder, with information under the image, and not (too much) through it. Of
course a ovf would be better, but would it give you a histogram without
moving the camera from your eye? And give you direct confirmation of the
image? If you touch the focussing ring give you a magnified image? Which
you can set on the touchscreen?

I think the disadvantages of a evf are largely overrated by hearsay
journalists who never gave the evf a change anyway. The nitpicking about
resolution is one such thing: what resolution was your old tv set? The
human mind kind of determines the reality of an image by the accuracy of
colors, not or less by its resolution. It is certainly not perfect with
moving targets, but with reasonably steday subjects I'm quite satisfied.

Oh well, I'm still in my honeymoon weeks with this e-m5.

But I do think there are things to improve, among those:
- shorter black out times after a picture
- indeed those menu's. If you're a long time Oly user you'll get there, but
as they say, when you're beaten long enough you might start to like it ;-).
Just tried to find the panorama option, no luck yet.
- no easy 'my settings'
- the play button placement

On my crappy netbook without LR the pictues look nice with plenty of
resolution, sharpness and DR, but I'll hold on my final judgement until I'm
home.

Yesterdag, there was this guy carrying just a Nikon D3 with 14-24mm lens,
and a bag around his neck looking like a large soda bottle bag probably
containg his 70-200/2.8. It was hot and I remembered when I saw him why I'm
glad I choosed the m43 route. He kind of resembled a dinosaur ;-).

Life is too short to sweat around while getting your back and shoulders
hurt... ;-)

Best, Frank.

2012/7/14 Michael Wong wrote .... the EVF is not as good as OVF. I still
prefer OVF a lot but consider the whole design and lenses group, I gave up
Nikon and change to E-M5.