Re: [OM] Another OT BW Photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Another OT BW Photo
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:57:35 -0400
Which Tammy?

As to a flash unit, as I convinced the Moose, the Canon 540-EZ is a good
choice for an inexpensive flash for the 5D.  It was Canon's cat's meow
for TTL film cameras but is only manual on digital.  It has a power zoom
head covering 24-105mm and 9 manual power levels from 1 down to 1/128.
At 15 meters it also has the longest range AF assist lamp of any Canon
flash ever built (current units are only 10).  Valuable for that alone
if you shoot with/without flash in dark reception dance halls.

Its one major omission is a flash controlled auto mode.  For that just
grab your T32 which works just fine on Canon.  T-32 control pins are not
a problem in the Canon shoe.  Both are about the same power level.

Here's an EX condition unit at KEH for $62.
<http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Shoe-Mount-Flashes/1/sku-CE219990340560?r=FE>

I've found that ebay prices tend to be higher (sometimes by a lot).  I
suspect ebay prices are driven by Canon digital newbies who don't
realize that this flash is TTL only on film cameras.  :-)

Dr. Flash