Re: [OM] Another OT BW Photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Another OT BW Photo
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:02:09 -0500
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012, at 05:32 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> What I dislike about the orange filter is how shadows block up. On a
> nice sunny day, the orange seems to put the shadows about a full stop
> lower than a yellow filter. A red filter usually just totally wipes
> out the shadows so you have to overexpose more, but the orange filter,
> if you overexpose like you would with the red filter to protect the
> shadows, you will get blown highlights.

That is true.  Expose for the highlights and use compensating
development?  The idea of the orange filter is to blow the highlights,
or something, a little bit.

> When photographing a zitty teenager, I really like using the orange
> filter combined with Delta 400. That combination seems to completely
> wipe out the zits without turning the lips and eyes creepy.

I might be able to find a few suchlike teenagers hereabouts.

> A little side-note about yellow filters. Why use yellow outdoors, but
> not indoors? Why do most B&W films need a yellow filter outdoors to
> make things look right? The best explanation I've come across is that
> the natural "white balance" setting of the film is a closer match to
> incadescent. Indoors, under artificial light, this works great, but
> outdoors, you need to subtract some blue to get it to balance. In
> other words, the film is too blue sensitive.

All I know is I never use a blue filter, that's for sure.

Got some Tri-X loaded up and ready to go. Unfortunately, it is now dark.
 Fortunately, I am getting sleepy anyway.

Joel W.

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html