Re: [OM] OT - Card reader question

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Card reader question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 09:51:01 -0400
Well, that brought me up short.  So I re-read Bill's original note
I am using a USB 2.0 Multi-card reader with cards that generally are
300X or 400X speed. Things are really slow on my PC. Might I need a new
card reader? If so, what should I look for? Yes, I do have a new MacBook
Pro and the transition is not occurring at warp speed. What card reader
might be best for the Mac? Bill Barber

Indeed, we have been running down the wrong path.  The cards are CF
cards and it was time to go investigate the specs of a MacBook Pro.
Turns out the MacBook Pro (in addition to an SDXC slot)has two USB 3.0
sockets.  Since I have been ignoring USB 3.0 it was also time to finally
go and investigate the specs (10X faster than USB 2.0 high speed and
backwards compatible).  That means the Mac can do quite fine with a
CF/USB 3.0 reader like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-Multi-All-In-1-Flash-Card-Reader-Cable-for-TF-CF-MS-XD-SD-M2-SDHC-SDXC-/200747157504?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item2ebd768800
or this one from Newegg (a known supplier):
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-RDCR-11002-All-in-one-USB-3-0-Card-Reader-/120943278491?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item1c28c7f99b>
or this one for CF cards only
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIXELFLASH-USB-3-0-2-0-UDMA-CompactFlash-CF-Card-Reader-/180919732237?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item2a1fa8080d>
or any of numerous other card readers and adapters supporting USB 3.0.

That takes care of the Mac and CF cards.  So, what to do about the PC?
The first question is whether the PC has only garden variety USB 2.0 or
USB 2.0 "high speed".  Since the high speed spec was released in 2000
Bill's computer would have to be truly ancient to not support the high
speed spec.  Therefore it's necessary to figure out how to upgrade the PC.

There are several ways to upgrade his PC depending on what capabilities
it already has or which expansion ports might still be open.  One
approach to an upgrade to a USB 3.0 adapter so his reader is compatible
with that (which he will get) for the Mac.  One approach (if there is an
open PCIe (PCI Express) slot is to use a PCIe adapter such as this:
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166026>
or this
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-to-External-2-Port-USB-3-0-Hub-PCI-E-Controller-Card-Adapter-/160832052255?pt=US_Laptop_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item2572565c1f>
These adapters will put the ports on the back of the machine which would
require USB 3.0 extension cords to run around to the front
Caution:  Reading reviews this is not a place to skimp on price
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200670>

If there's an empty 5-1/4" drive bay on can install a multi-card reader
with USB 3.0 ports in front.  Note that the built-in card reader slots
as just USB 2.0.  But the front facing USB ports are USB 3.0.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/nMediapc-ZE-C288-5-25in-USB2-0-All-in-1-Card-Reader-w-Front-USB3-0-2-x-Fan-/280840063689?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item41635f4ac9>
To hook this one up one needs a USB 3.0 adapter with internal ports
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-USB3-0-PCI-E-Express-Card-With-NEC-Chip-20Pin-Header-Adapter-2-Internal-Ports-/180858208451?pt=Computer_Stands_Holders_Car_Mounts&hash=item2a1bfd40c3>

Here's a similar front facing hub in 3-1/2" form factor that has its own
PCIe interface connector and can dispense with the extra card.  It also
requires a USB 2.0 internal connection to the motherboard.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-INTERNAL-PCI-E-PCI-EXPRESS-USB-3-0-2-HUB-CARD-READER-SD-SDHC-MMS-XD-M2-CF-/221065515002?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item3378880ffa>

Another means of getting USB 3.0 support if you have SATA drives in your
computer and an unused SATA header is this
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nexstar-Sata-To-USB-3-0-Adapter-/300587381676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fc6773ac>

Or even more directly (especially if you have an external SATA (eSATA)
backup device as I do (and know Moose does too) you can plug you CF card
into this adapter and plug that into your eSATA backup device.  I like
this so much I think I'm going to try it myself.  Might even be faster
than USB 3.0 but at least way, way faster than USB 2.0.  Cheap.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Compact-Flash-CF-To-2-5-Inch-SATA-Adapter-With-Tray-/320918010748?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4ab8343b7c>

If the PC is a laptop there are also PC Express card (PCMCIA) adapter
available as well.

Whew.  That's enough for now without knowing what the PC is.

Chuck Norcutt