Re: [OM] (OM) Mon shot

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Mon shot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 01:31:33 -0700
On 7/2/2012 6:40 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012, at 09:12 PM, Moose wrote:

>>> No clipping of the points?
>> Not if you watch what you're doing. Using Levels, it's easy to simply
>> pull the ends of the histogram in without
>> clipping. The posted image goes farther than that, but I check the histo
>> regularly as I work.
> If you use LCE fairly regularly, do you "pull the ends" toward the end
> of the process, at the beginning, couple times throughout the process?

Never more than a tiny bit. It's a matter of developing an eye for histograms,
so I know whether I need to lower
brightness/contrast, and how much, for a given level of LCE. On most images, I
hit it first time, but I've had a lot of
practice.

>> Sometimes, for example, LCE will blow the ends. If it's right for the
>> rest, but blows the highlights, I select the blown
>> areas (An Action I set up long ago.) and make a mask layer that lets
>> those areas of the pre-LCE layer show through.
>> Works very nicely on most instances.
> May I ask how you developed this action?  I guess maybe I am asking
> this:  What are the steps?

Select=>Color Range
Fuzziness 27
Minimum:Lab color Luminance: 100 A: 0 B: 0
Maximum:Lab color Luminance: 100 A: 0 B: 0

That's what the Action says, but I don't think you can just put in the color
values in the Color Select box. I think I
selected a pure white with the dropper.

As I recall, I had to try different values. Tighter values of Fuzziness pretty
much never selected anything visible. I
originally developed it and a companion black selector to fill the blown areas
with red and black, so I could see what
was happening in an image.

Fuzzy White Moose