Re: [OM] (OM) Mon shot

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Mon shot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 21:12:18 -0700
On 7/1/2012 8:05 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012, at 10:15 PM, Moose wrote:
>
>> The moon, as seen through Earth's atmosphere IS low contrast - the range
>> from darkest to lightest tones is rather small.
>> The histogram looks like a rocky island in the sea.
>>
>> Shoot Raw, and 16 bits allows nice spreading across the whole range.
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Sigma600%20and_Meade1000&image=_MG_6617croof2.jpg>
> No clipping of the points?

Not if you watch what you're doing. Using Levels, it's easy to simply pull the
ends of the histogram in without
clipping. The posted image goes farther than that, but I check the histo
regularly as I work.

Sometimes, for example, LCE will blow the ends. If it's right for the rest, but
blows the highlights, I select the blown
areas (An Action I set up long ago.) and make a mask layer that lets those
areas of the pre-LCE layer show through.
Works very nicely on most instances.

In other cases, I lower Brightness and/or Contrast, the apply LCE. With
experience, it's easy to get the data to just
kiss the top of the histo on the first try, most of the time.

> (Also, I am wondering what "allows" means.)

When you push and/or pull tones on an 8-bit image, it often leads to gaps and
spikes in the histo. Sometimes it isn't
noticeable, but other times, it is. But the symptoms can be ambiguous, and get
worse with further processing; the image
just starts to look 'wrong' or 'off' in some not so clear way.

Far less likely to run into trouble with 16 bit images. Whenever I try out
"what ifs" on web images, the first thing I
do is convert to 16 bit.

> Gorgeous shot!

Thanks!

It's certainly near the limit of what can be done with ordinary camera gear
through the atmosphere. I put a few shots on
top of each other, as layers, to determine which was sharpest - only to
discover that whole features moved from one to
the other - the effect of refraction through the moving cells in the atmosphere!

Moon Struck Moose