[OM] Fuji X-pro1 and OM-D

Subject: [OM] Fuji X-pro1 and OM-D
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 09:50:18 +0200
HI All,

Fate played its usual tricks yesterday.  On Monday I ordered an OM-D for
my wife, with the intention that when on holiday I would hopefully be
allowed to share it on day trips rather than cart my heavy kit around,
although I really thought the X-pro1 would fit in better with how I take
photos. I resigned myself to waiting until later in the year to get one
and  having not held or seen one that seemed a relatively easy decision.
The OM-D is after all just a better m43 camera while the fuji is a
totally different animal.

Anyway by a quirk of fate yesterday saw us in Zurich (hospital Cai but
he is ok) and I know there is a camera shop that sells leica and bessa
cameras nearby so I stole myself away for half an hour to see if they
had the X-pro1 on display. Well they did and not only that the lenses
and case, exit one slightly guilty Ian and much lighter bank balance, to
be fair the price was the same as I would pay online and the guilt was
only slight as I used money that had been owed to me.

Initial impressions, please note I have not used either properly yet.

X-pro1

I wish it was full frame but oh that viewfinder and simplicity of
controls its the most like shooting with my 3Ti than any other digital I
have seen or used, easy and clear to see very easy and quick to set
aperture shutter and iso and see the meter.   Why couldn't others do the
same instead of over complicating everything.

Its not my perfect camera BUT its very close, just needs to be full
frame and as I am not a rangie person (although I did use a yashica
electro 35 for a while) I would prefer it it was an slr but keep that
optical viewfinder with overlay, nice large numbers and meter easy to
see oh and live histogram- take note canyon etc..

The case in not quite as convenient as the OM everready case but the
convenience of digital far outweighs that disadvantage.

Just need to find a nice wide angle for it, one is due later in the year
which I hope is better than the current 18mm.

OM-D

Just tried it quickly as I have some nice lenses panny 20/1.7 and 7-14,
from first impressions it works so much better than my E-PL2 the evf is
much more responsive and actually not annoying, I find it a bit small
but that makes it better for my wife. On the whole I think they made a
good job of it. The little 7-14 is sharp but it is no zuiko 7-14 which
didn't suffer so much from flare

And both are so light compared to my 5D2 - although not ready to part
with it just yet ;-)  maybe now I can concentrate on the images again
without the camera getting in the way.

IanW