Re: [OM] EVF's etc - was Sunday

Subject: Re: [OM] EVF's etc - was Sunday
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:43:42 -0500
> If the camera can decide to do something unreasonable in aperture
> priority mode and I can easily decide to switch back to manual to the
> exposure that I deem correct because I just deliberately set it why did
> I switch to aperture priority in the first place?

Shooting in bright sunlight is a good example of this, especially when
you are moving in and out of open shade. Or when the subject is overly
bright or dark. When the subject is a small part of the scene, the
exposure won't skew too much, but if you move in close, the auto
exposure will shift by a couple of stops. If I have "sunny 16" dialed
in, I can always use that as my fallback exposure. I would normally
let aperture priority just track my exposures as it will do pretty
good MOST of the time, but it's the odd shot where you have to go into
override mode.

When you go into override mode, you have two choices. You can use the
exposure compensation dial, or you can flip modes to manual and use
your alternative exposure. I prefer to not use the exposure
compensation dial with the OM bodies, but generally do so with other
bodies because it's quicker that way.

Cameras that use the "A" position on the shutter-speed rings or
aperture rings, are more conducive to using exposure compensation.
Cameras that let you switch modes without changing settings can be
much faster doing it my way. Cameras that reset everything between
mode changes are pretty worthless and definitely force using exposure
compensation.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx