Re: [OM] IMG: HPI Rabbits

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: HPI Rabbits
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:29:42 -0700
Tina, your scanning project has inspired me to go back and look at a few
old scans from the 1980's. Most are still slides but I did scan a few
but never processed them. I think these were taken with my original OM1
and 28/3.5. A very nice travel kit. Anyway I did a quick and dirty job
with Faststone on this one which I had previously scanned with my old HP
2400dpi scanner. Subject is the family of Carlos, a boy we were
supporting through CCF. No HPI at that time. The village was a short
collectivo ride from Antigua and then another couple km to the village.
Name escapes me. The woman on the right is the school director and our
interpreter, Quiche>>Spanish (not actually sure what language the family
spoke but guessing a dialect of Quiche) I only vaguely remember that
young couple in the back ;) Photo taken in the family compound in the
rabanos patch, grown to supplement their income. We later visited the
family maize field a km or two outside the village where Carlos and his
father worked.  Eventually Carlos dropped out of the program to work
full time to help support the family. Not sure what happened to them.
This was at the height of the civil war and this area was a hot bed of
the revolt. Note my olive colored tee shirt. This caused us to be taken
off a collectivo for questioning at a check point. I also had on a pair
of "military looking" shoes. The kids manning the check point wanted to
confiscate both articles of clothing. Finally I was able to talk to an
officer who let us go with the admonition to not let these dangerous
materials fall into rebel hands.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/MexCentralAm/family1a.jpg>