Re: [OM] IMG: HPI Rabbits

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: HPI Rabbits
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:50:03 -0400
Looks very familiar, Mike!  Yes, we warned all of our travelers not to wear
anything remotely military-looking.  The women still barred their doors
every night and were very frightened of strangers.  Guatemala is probably
the most beautiful country I've been to but it still has many, many
problems!

Tina

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Tina, your scanning project has inspired me to go back and look at a few
> old scans from the 1980's. Most are still slides but I did scan a few
> but never processed them. I think these were taken with my original OM1
> and 28/3.5. A very nice travel kit. Anyway I did a quick and dirty job
> with Faststone on this one which I had previously scanned with my old HP
> 2400dpi scanner. Subject is the family of Carlos, a boy we were
> supporting through CCF. No HPI at that time. The village was a short
> collectivo ride from Antigua and then another couple km to the village.
> Name escapes me. The woman on the right is the school director and our
> interpreter, Quiche>>Spanish (not actually sure what language the family
> spoke but guessing a dialect of Quiche) I only vaguely remember that
> young couple in the back ;) Photo taken in the family compound in the
> rabanos patch, grown to supplement their income. We later visited the
> family maize field a km or two outside the village where Carlos and his
> father worked.  Eventually Carlos dropped out of the program to work
> full time to help support the family. Not sure what happened to them.
> This was at the height of the civil war and this area was a hot bed of
> the revolt. Note my olive colored tee shirt. This caused us to be taken
> off a collectivo for questioning at a check point. I also had on a pair
> of "military looking" shoes. The kids manning the check point wanted to
> confiscate both articles of clothing. Finally I was able to talk to an
> officer who let us go with the admonition to not let these dangerous
> materials fall into rebel hands.
>

> <
> http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/MexCentralAm/family1a.jpg
> >

> --