Re: [OM] OT: I understand how Brian feels

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: I understand how Brian feels
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:34:50 +1200
>From the horse's mouth ...

Recently, in the quiet of the night, i downloaded a 45MB file. At the start of
the D/L I saw 5.2 MB/sec; then it gradually subsided (as it always seems to
here) slowly, and at the end of the D/L it was about 1.3 MB.sec.

That big file snuck onto my hard-drive with barely a whisper.

8 hours later, the broadband cap having been reached / exceeded, I had to
use dial-up. At least I DO have that option when all else fails. I was using
one of my favourite (old) Opera browsers which shows speeds. I reached
the dizzy level of 456 b/sec. Not even half a KB/sec.
Usually if traffic is not too great I can see from 1.5 to 3 kb/s. I can do
quite a
lot with that.
If broadband is busy, I'm lucky to see 20 kb/sec.

One learns to be flexible and patient.

I'm at the end of copper. Around here only junior (primary) school has fibre-
optic cable, I think, and probably the hospital which is just 5 minutes' drive
away.

If broadband is up and running fast, and I have big files to shift, I'm in like
the proverbial big dog.

An opportunist.

Brian Swale.