Re: [OM] From the Air [was Friday Mountain)

Subject: Re: [OM] From the Air [was Friday Mountain)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:43:45 -0700
On 5/17/2012 7:44 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Hum. You're retired. Ever think of taking up aerial?

I spent most of my working life living with aerials, using aerial photo
contractors and even hiring one. It's part of
the reason I'm endlessly fascinated by the view out of airplanes.

It seems I don't get motion sick as easily as in my younger days. Or perhaps I
just don't do things I used to. ;-)   I
discovered that looking through a camera viewfinder in a small plane could turn
comfort or mild discomfort into
something much worse when we were touring some properties in Mexico many years
ago.

Actually, the commercial business of vertical aerials was pretty serious and
professional even decades ago, with highly
specialized equipment and standardized process. Competitive and boring. I
assume that market may have changed for the
worse with excellent satellite coverage.

I've no wish to try to compete with the Above (your city name here) series of
books. (Yes, I have "Above San
Francisco"). Shooting big houses and industrial buildings and peddling prints
is an old business of no interest to me.

There is certainly a place for artistic images from the air. I particularly
like the low level images of rural France
and Switzerland by Olivier Lasserre. (Unfortunately, the small images on the
web give no idea at all of the impact of
larger prints.) <http://www.olivierlasserre.com/>

For me, though, I don't think the interest in the process is great enough, and
the expense would mean needing to go
commercial. Then I wouldn't be retired anymore! :-)

Refining Idleness Moose