Re: [OM] Friday Mountain

Subject: Re: [OM] Friday Mountain
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:05:56 -0700
On 5/14/2012 10:19 AM, Wiliam Wagenaar wrote:
> Thanks Moose,
>
> I get most of the picture. Is Focus Magic an add-in for PS or do you use it
> stand-alone and is all PP done in it? I only have/use LR and PS.

Focus Magic is a program that does deconvolution, which is a mathematical
process for recalculating original image
detail from the lens/AA filter output. You can look up further/better
explanation on-line. Although I and others tend to
refer to it loosely as sharpening, it is quite a different technology from
UnSharp Mask (USM), which is the basis of
virtually all other sharpening tools.

Several programs use deconvolution more or less successfully. DXO Optics And
Canon use it in their Raw
converter/editors, only for specific camera/lens combinations. In theory, this
should be the best way, as detailed
knowledge of lens characteristics should improve the results.

My efforts with DXO, 5D and Tamron 28-300 lenses have been quite disappointing
and Canon's DPP only as yet covers a
relatively few of their own lenses.

There are three more generic deconvolution apps that I know of. I've been using
Focus Magic regularly for some time. It
can correct for focus blur or for motion blur, and for both in a two step
process. The effect of the focus blur
correction ranges from moderately useful to amazing. I use it both for capture
sharpening - generally good and just
magic with S100 images - and for post downsampling resharpening, where it has
proven better than USM based sharpening.

Motion blur correction is much more work, as one needs to find the correct
direction and number of pixels. I've even
done one with two different settings for people moving differently during the
exposure. For a picture important to
someone, it can be a big help.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Focus_Magic/IMG_0155cr.htm>

I'm going to go 64 bit soon, and FM still hasn't added a 64 bit version. :-(

FocusFixer, with V2, appears to have added a deconvolution based process,
although they don't use the word. But they've
added basically nothing to their site since 2008, so their promise of 64 bit
sounds as hollow as FM's.

Topaz InFocus is another deconvolution app that does do 64 bit. I downloaded
the trial some time ago, and don't recall
the results, so they must not have impressed me at the time. I'm going to look
at it again.

Convoluted Moose