Re: [OM] Chris Cawford Indiana

Subject: Re: [OM] Chris Cawford Indiana
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:14:34 -0700
Welcome Mel!

On 5/10/2012 9:04 AM, mes9120 wrote:
> Some of Chris Crawford's Indiana photos remind me of my Mother.  We lived in
> Kansas, and Mother enjoyed being able to "look out" across the plain.  In
> contrast, in the mountains or even some of the "hollows" in the Ozarks she
> felt hemmed in and did not like it.  No "elbow room".  One who grew up in
> hilly or mountainous country could feel the opposite.  The key word is
> "feel".  The view reminds the viewer of an "atmosphere" somewhere in the
> memory that may be of a happy childhood.  Such "feelings" explain differences
> in what photos people like.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to that.

I grew up, and live, in the SF Bay Area, so I'm used to a great variety of
landscape, sea and shore, elevated land from
soft, rolling hills to jagged 14,000 ft. crests. There is relatively flat
landscape in the central valley, but always
bounded mentally and usually visually, by hills or mountains. It's fun to be
out in the valley and realize some of those
white clouds off to the east are actually snow capped mountains. :-)

I tend to find the endless flatness of parts of the Midwest only holds my
interest briefly. There is lots of interesting
variation at the smaller level, but absent interesting things going on in the
sky ... The areas of rolling hills,
especially where the flora change, are pretty and fun to drive through on roads
that slither over them.

Moose