Re: [OM] Chris Cawford Indiana

Subject: Re: [OM] Chris Cawford Indiana
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 00:42:11 +1200
Mel wrote

> Some of Chris Crawford's Indiana photos remind me of my Mother.  We lived
> in Kansas, and Mother enjoyed being able to "look out" across the plain.
> In contrast, in the mountains or even some of the "hollows" in the Ozarks
> she felt hemmed in and did not like it.  No "elbow room".  One who grew up
> in hilly or mountainous country could feel the opposite.  The key word is
> "feel".  The view reminds the viewer of an "atmosphere" somewhere in the
> memory that may be of a happy childhood.  Such "feelings" explain
> differences in what photos people like. > > This is my first post to the
> group.  I have been lurking and enjoying it for a year or so. > > Mel
> Smith in Oklahoma

Different kicks for different folks. My partner grew up in the Lake District of
the northern UK, and also east of there, and is really unhappy unless
surrounded by, or in close view of, mountains. So that's where we live.

My own preference is for a landscape with flat plains that abruptly abut on
steep hills and mountains.

In the 1970's when I lived in the rolling green hills of the Rotorua landscape
after a while I felt so nauseated by then I just HAD to get out and go
somewhere more like home. Even if just for a day.

Brian Swale.