Re: [OM] My town on the news

Subject: Re: [OM] My town on the news
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:22:12 -0400
You've already gotten some answers on the cost question but no one has
directly addressed your incorrect notion of frequency.  In fact, most
people in the US will never even see a tornado in their entire lives let
alone have their houses damaged or destroyed by one.  Those who live in
"tornado alley" where tornadoes are most frequent may see a distant
tornado sometime or at least see the aftermath of one in some nearby
town but will still be unlikely to be directly hit by one.

The landmass of the US is immense.  The amount of that land covered by
even 1,000 tornadoes is extremely small.  Most are quite small and do
little or no damage or no damage of any consequence.  Many will never be
seen by other than Doppler radar.  I have been in the middle of one
small Florida tornado the consequence of which was to fill my gutters
and my garage floor with hemispherical hail about 30mm in diameter and
tear a very large ficus tree out of the ground on the golf course behind
my house and uproot some bushes several hundred meters beyond that.
I've also been through three hurricanes but those are something
altogether different except that they're also sometimes surrounded by
tornadoes as well.

Chuck Norcutt