Re: [OM] My town on the news

Subject: Re: [OM] My town on the news
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:12:58 +0200
Ken, as somebody who lives in a country with no natural disasters
(other than that caused by 90% of the population) I am relieved that
you are all OK, and personally can't imagine what living in a
tornado-swept country is like.

One thing that has always bothered me: Why on earth has tornado-
and hurricane-country USA never bothered to invent hurricane-proof
houses? You can't tell me it's not possible. It's easy to build an
aircraft that can stably *fly* 200 miles per hour (nay, 2000
miles per hour!) so why can't people build dwellings that
simply have to remain stationary (and not be destroyed)
by a 100 - 200 mph wind? Every year people go through the
agony and cost of repairing damage, when human ingenuity
and will-power could easily result in a design of house that
does not need to be repaired every year. So what if it costs
4 times as much? It will be much cheaper in the long run.

I don't understand the economics / people over there, so I
am just speculating.

regards,
Dawid