[OM] Happy ...

Subject: [OM] Happy ...
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
>>Mike G. has often used one as his walk around lens, as demonstrated
here.

<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/M
andM/2-Tilden&image=_MG_4412ii.jpg>
>> As I
>>recall, his only complaint is edge softness at the wide end(?). He
may well
>>know more about how it works on 5D, albeit a
>>>MkII.

Yes, steel trap Moose memory is correct. I really like that lens as
walk about on OM and still use it till I find a deal on a Z 35-80. I
think John Lind liked it too and Jeff K first mentioned it to me. I
bought one from listee Dave Cattani (?sp). MTF looks very similar to
the Z. 35-80 at the long end.
Bokeh is very good in general as well as Moose demonstrated nicely.
I made the mistake of comparing the corners at F5.6 to the A 50mm/1.4
and was not impressed. I had thought they had sharpened up by then but
at least need another stop on the short end.
Oh, here is a shot taken with the Tammy just about the time Moose
snapped that shot or thereabouts with the same pol.

http://tinyurl.com/6ulgxa7

Marnie and Carol Ann look great polarized.

I don't think I've ever mounted the Tammy 35-105/2.8 on the OM5DII
though I would have mounted a Z 35-80 /2.8 MANY times. I bet the Tammy
35-105 would be fine and the bokeh is better than my Canyon 24-105/4
IS. There just has to be a compelling reason to lose AF and auto
aperture. (wish Tim would fix the later with is battery holder gizmo)
For fun I was able to snipe a MF C/Y (Zeiss) 35-70/3.4 and use it on
occassion for landscapes stopped down.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_test.html

Seems he wants AF though. the new Canyon 24-70II/2.8 looks nice and
Tammy just announced a VR version.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/06/tamron-24-70mm-2p8-VC-price

The Canyon L 24-105 f4 IS was just too attractive as the "kit" lens
given the discount combined with cam. The long
end wide open (>80mm, IMO) really isn't that great in the corners. I
bet the DLO will help. Seems the actual update is still not on the
Canyon website for DPP though the manual is (last I checked a few days
ago). The images I had been examining were processed form the using the
DPP version that only comes with the OM5D MKIII CD. Canyon should fix
that soon, I would think.

If you could snipe a cheap Contax N 24-85, that is a really really cool
lens and virtually symmetric at the long end with very nice bokeh and
Zeiss microcontrast. Bo Ming seems to have raised his prices for
conversion (AF and autoaperture on Canyon of course) and it appears
though the lens was cheap cheap a few years back, fewer deals (if any)
remain.

I'll take one of each, Mike