[OM] What's all this about Deconvolution? [was Happy ... ]

Subject: [OM] What's all this about Deconvolution? [was Happy ... ]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:12:19 -0700
On 4/11/2012 2:02 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> ... The Canyon L 24-105 f4 IS was just too attractive as the "kit" lens given
> the discount combined with cam. The long
> end wide open (>80mm, IMO) really isn't that great in the corners.

Not your opinion alone, quite common.

> I bet the DLO will help.

So what's up with deconvolution? Canon DLO may or may not be great, but unless
somebody 'cracks' the data format, won't
work for my most used lenses.

I just tried DXO again, latest free trial version. They claim to work with the
Tammy 28-300 VC, but the actual results
are just useless. I can do better with USM and FM is WAY better.

As you have noted, FM's site has said for years that they'll get around to a 64
bit version. I don't think that's
anything more than a recompile. FM is a regular part of my work flow, doing
both capture sharpening and post sizing
sharpening for the web better than USM or any of the tools that use it
underneath. It really seems like the S100 and FM,
radius 2, were made for each other; just amazing.

Now that I'm seriously looking at a new, 64 bit machine for image processing,
this is becoming important to me.

With V2, it appears that FocusFixer added a deconvolution based process,
although they don't use the word. But they've
added basically nothing to their site since 2008, so their promise of 64 bit
sounds as hollow as FM's. Sounds like both
developers have moved on to other things and are just letting the old projects
generate what income they can, without
any further development.

Haven't tried CS6 yet, but from the demos, it appears their blur fix is
strictly for motion.

BiQ sounds capable, but actually using it looks painful and time killing.

What's a 64 bit boy to do?

Convoluted Moose