Re: [OM] Now THAT's an update

Subject: Re: [OM] Now THAT's an update
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:48:36 -0500
> Sounds like Rudy Van Gelder.

Possible. I'm brain cramping on who it was. Rudy's recordings have a
distinctive sound, though. Personally, I've never really cared for the
thinness of the sound, but the 3D imaging is good.

One of this guy's favorite setups during the '90s was to use a pair of
PZMs mounted on a plexiglass wedgie. He utilized a trick which only a
small handful of us have done. That's placing the instrument in the
opening to a room (sound chamber), carefully positioning the
instrument and microphone to get the sound to reverberate in that
chamber behind the musician. The "pocket doors" to the chamber are
closed just enough to allow enough sound to come out without getting
cancellations. During his PZM phase of life, he was recording from
down the hall or from as far as 15 feet away.

One of the nifty tricks to this is that the room provided a natural
amplification to the sound combined with a natural compression. It
wasn't necessary to do much dynamic range adjustment electronically,
since the room acoustics were accomplishing the task natively.

AG