Re: [OM] Happy ...

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy ...
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:51:28 -0500
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012, at 02:12 PM, Moose wrote:

> > The lens:  EOS mount?  Do you still use it on the 5D?
> > If so, how well does it work for you?
>
> It's a Tamron SP Adaptall-2 mount, so can be mounted on pretty much
> anything with the right Adaptall-2 adapter.

Gotcha.  I'm interested in the AF model for EOS.

> Other than speed, the Zuiko 35-105/3.5-4.5 is, I believe, as good or
> better a lens, and focuses closer. I don't recall
> it getting a lot of play on the list, compared to more exotic lenses, but
> it is a very fine lens - and looks gorgeous on
> a black OM. :-)

Yup, got one of those and agree on both points (maybe there are three).
Embarrassment of riches in having also the N*kkor 35-105/3.5-4.5, which
some of us speculated might be the same lens under the covers.  I felt
my N version was a trifle softer than the Z, but I can't tell the
difference when I compare using them on the 5D, by which I conclude that
Joel got sharper over the time he largely migrated from N to O.  Which
is doubly gratifying in a way.  The 5D has brought some fine N*kkors
back into the light of day.

On a 5D, the ISO flexibility and quality at higher ISOs
> make the extra stop of the Tammy far less of
> an issue that it was with film. The only reason I can think of to prefer
> the Tammy would be for shallower DOF.

By now it will be clear that I am looking for an AF 28-105 just so the
5D doesn't forget how to do AF.  My local camera store has a couple
Tammy 28-75/2.8, which would be OK, but those are selling for about $350
and the 28-105 for EOS usually goes for about the same.  The
disadvantage is that the 28-105 is a much heavier lens, huge front
element.  The other disadvantage is that it probably need an AF 80-200
to go with it.

Joel W.