Re: [OM] Happy ...

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:09:02 -0700
On 4/11/2012 7:29 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> Yup, much bigger and heavier than the 35-105. I believe Walt had a fair
> bit to say about his, should you care to dip
> into the archives. Too big and heavy for what it does for my taste.
> Speed for the buck is the attraction.  If I could snipe one for about
> $200, I'd like to try it out.

Worth a try, for sure.

>> In MF days, I went to slower for longer zoom range,  Tokina AT-X
>> 35-200/3.5-4.5 and Kiron 28-210/4-5.6, 1:4, among some others that didn't
>> work as well as those for me.
> Definitely good value. I actually think the Zuiko 85-250/5 is a very
> cool lens, but when I got an SP 80-200/2.8, it was hard to go back,
> despite the weight of that thing.

As I said, for me, it's C-U and tele reach. The 85-250 can't hold a candle to
the Tammy 60-300 for those. It has a
1:1.55 macro mode. I kept trying, with both Tammy and Tokina 80-200/2.8s, but
their close focus capabilities are very
poor. I'm afraid I'll never be one of those folks who will carry around
something like the 1,500 g (3.3 #) Tamron -
along with mid range zoom, macro lens, WA or two, fast normal ... while
tromping around Yosemite or Acadia, or just some
random woods.

> Everything I shoot on the 5D is pretty fast.  I have a little cheapie Tamron
> 28-80/3.5-5.6.  It's terrific for what it cost, but I never use it.  Constant
> f2.8 in 28-105 would be ideal.

My interest in speed, per se, started to wane even with the 300D, and
definitely faded with the 5D. Unless shallow DOF
is important, speed loses importance with good high ISO digital. As I am sort
of the anti Dawid for most of my work,
usually looking for more DOF, the weight, cost and C-U performance for speed
just don't work for me. My 'fast' lens for
EF is the lowly 50/1.8. It looks and feels like cheap junk, but is optically
very good indeed.

> I should probably just get a cheap but good 70-200/3.5 of some kind and
> call it good.  But ... yawn ...  I'm in Ken-mode:  What is the best
> thing for me to use that I will never actually buy?

That's fun. I go there sometimes. One of my fantasies includes a lottery win to
pay for and a bearer to tote all the
exotic gear. :-)

>> The Tammy 28-300/3.5-6.3 ...
> This is too rational.  I'm seriously disturbed.  Stop it.

OK

Amenable Moose