Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?

Subject: Re: [OM] Seriously, who needs a Noctilux?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:05:24 +0200
Hi Ed,

How sure are you it does not have *any* focus shift? Or are we just
not seeing it on film?
I would be amazed if a non-aspherical, 30-year old design has less
focus shift than an expensive, aspherical design.

Of course you are right about the DOF. But there are very few usable f/
2.5 MF or f/4.5 LF lenses around,
and they are quite huge (and in the case of LF, have few or no shutter
speeds :-).

The metal build quality of the Zuiko, as well as the tiny size, make
it much more pleasant to use than the Giant EF 50/1.2L.
The EF 50/1.2L is a heck of a lot more tough though - weather sealed
and the plastic casing is extremely strong, I have heard
of one dropping and rolling down a stairway with no damage. But at
three times the price (and size/weight), the Zuiko is a gem!

Dawid