Re: [OM] Happy ...

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy ...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 11:16:55 -0500
> in film scans, it seems completely natural to me.  A mkII would be nice
> for the sensor cleaning feature, but I think the experience of using the
> camera and lenses would be more like working with the E-3 and an
> adapter.  Better in a way, but I'm not looking for that.  This old body
> is working well for me.  Slows me down in a good way.

The Mk2 is on my very short list of cameras. Of course, I'd prefer the Mk3,
but somebody would be insisting that I earn a bit more money with it. More
income means more work. I'm already tapped out, so we'll just stick with
affordable stuff that doesn't get SWMBO or the IRS upset with me.

On a positive note, had I not "bought" the new computer this last year, I
would have actually made a profit. 2012 is looking very bright to be in the
"must pay taxes" mode. All it takes is three good weddings to have a decent
year.

> There is something wrong with the Rainbow Imaging adapter that I leave
> attached to the 90/2.  When I mount that lens and adapter, the light
> next to the jog dial blinks occasionally for nothing (like the camera is
> writing to the CF card, which it isn't).

Are you turning the camera off when mounting this lens/adapter? You really
do need to make sure the camera is off.

> Fortunately, the Big_IS adapter works perfectly.  Easy to use as a 2-4
> screen (or at least a 1-4) with focus confirm to boot.  Feels like
> stealing sometimes (in the Robin Hood sense).

Just like I feel like I'm cheating when I'm using the 2-13 in the OM bodies?

> In some ways, I prefer the E410 to the E-3.

Very interesting. Although the viewfinder is a bit cramped, I must admit
that I'm a bit taken by the E-4xx bodies. When i got to try out yours, I
immediately wanted it to work for me. If it wasn't for the viewfinder, I
would have gone right out and scarfed one up myself.

> the E410 seems just as good to me and sometimes actually better.  This
> became clearer to me when I switched to Lightroom to process RAW images.

LR4 is a game-changer. It appears as though they FINALLY fixed the DMC-L1
conversion issues (although, I still have to verify to what point the
converter fails, because I can sense something not quite right). The DMC-L1
is now becoming my goto digital camera. The E-1 is still my preferred beast
in some situations, but I think I've finally made peace with the Panasonic.
The viewfinder is still HORRIBLE, but at least live-view makes it bearable.

In two weeks, I've got my big honkin annual event to shoot. It'll be mixed
format again. The bulk of the event will be shot with digital, but two or
three rolls of NPZ will be snuck in there. All portraiture, the
grip-and-grins and the vast bulk of images are digital. The creative shots
will be film. Nothing important on film, but will at least provide a bit of
change-of-pace. I'll use the black OM-4T and MD2. The NPZ was my $1 per
roll megadeal, so donating that to the cause is a no-brainer. Hopefully, I
can get my Leica 14-50 fixed this week.

I've been coordinating with their media person, so we've got a good
direction for the event shoot. I was going to shoot everything JPEG this
year, but with LR4, I don't need to and can mix and mingle the film shots
without too much grief.

AG