Re: [OM] 5D dust cleaning, was: Happy ...

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D dust cleaning, was: Happy ...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 15:52:08 -0500
I wouldn't worry too much about hurting the sensor glass. As long as you
don't use any fluids which strip the coating off, you'll be OK. What is
more troublesome, however, is how much other crud is inside the mirror
chamber which Moose mentioned.

One thing that I find entertaining is how much stuff ends up on the sensor
when it is hidden behind a shutter curtain for all but milliseconds at a
time. What this points to is that the shutter curtain itself is probably
the cause of a lot of this. If the curtain isn't repelling dust, then it
sticks to the curtain. When the picture is taken the dust falls off and is
then attracted to the generally statically charged sensor.

The m43 cameras have the sensor hanging out in the open all but for a few
milliseconds at a time.

I think I cleaned the sensor of the DMC-L1 once. The E-1 a few times. A
piece of Swiffer wrapped around a Q-Tip is all it takes. Just wipe it
around the entire sensor with a couple passes over anything stuck. That's
it. Easy, quick and painless. Oh, and super-cheap. Just one Q-tip and a few
inches of Swiffer trimmed from a full sheet which can still be used to
clean the floor. But, I usually end up using the remaining to clean the
computer, cameras and lenses of dust.

AG