Re: [OM] Happy ...

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy ...
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:20:55 -0500
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012, at 09:06 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> > BTW I know exactly where the sensor crud is and what it's doing. Have to
> > spot almost every photo, and do, so if you think you're seeing sensor
> > dust traces -- not likely.
>
> It's amazing you you can see when quickly zipping through images. It's
> really rough trying to find them in a single image, but they show up
> in a series.

I shouldn't have been so knee-jerk in my response because I could (and
did) miss a spot in at least one case.  If I went back, I would probably
find more since I don't look for them in busy backgrounds (where fixing
them is not always easy or successful).  I thought I would find it
really annoying to spot digital images, but as I am almost totally using
film lenses with the body and I always had to go looking for dust spots
in film scans, it seems completely natural to me.  A mkII would be nice
for the sensor cleaning feature, but I think the experience of using the
camera and lenses would be more like working with the E-3 and an
adapter.  Better in a way, but I'm not looking for that.  This old body
is working well for me.  Slows me down in a good way.

There is something wrong with the Rainbow Imaging adapter that I leave
attached to the 90/2.  When I mount that lens and adapter, the light
next to the jog dial blinks occasionally for nothing (like the camera is
writing to the CF card, which it isn't).  There is no problem I have
noticed in any other operation of the camera, but I don't like that.
Fortunately, the Big_IS adapter works perfectly.  Easy to use as a 2-4
screen (or at least a 1-4) with focus confirm to boot.  Feels like
stealing sometimes (in the Robin Hood sense).

In some ways, I prefer the E410 to the E-3.  The E-3 has many
advantages, the main one being the articulating LCD, but the capture of
the E410 seems just as good to me and sometimes actually better.  This
became clearer to me when I switched to Lightroom to process RAW images.
 I bring this up in this context because I have been thinking about the
usefulness of having LV on a mkII.  But LV without an articulating
screen is not happening for me.  If the 410 had an articulating screen,
I believe I would get rid of the E-3.

Joel W.

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html