Re: [OM] [OT] ADHD

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] ADHD
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:03:55 -0500
> Yup, although it's much worse now than when I was in school. The standardized
> tests are ruining education.

Ah, but here is the rub. If the schools aren't teaching effectively,
how would we ever know in time without tests? I've come to the
conclusion that two things are preventing kids from learning. "Safety
Net" and "No Pain". It used to be that if you didn't get an education
to the point where you have a marketable skill, you'd starve to death.
That's a pretty potent motivator. As to pain? Well, those nasty
canings would do wonders.

Singapore does somethings right.

We see how the welfare mindset is generational. Once a person adapts
to the "system", their kids become lifers in the system too as well as
their kids' kids. What is really startling is when you consider the
dollar value of all the benefits available, and it's actually
monetarily a pretty decent gig. The problem is that a mental handicap
sets in where "I can't" is the driving force in their lives. The
apartment complex might be only two blocks away from a grocery store,
but people will instead go to the corner gas station to buy junk
"food" instead. Instead of walking to the store, they sit, eat
unhealthily and get diabetes.

I can't live that way.

> No electronic gizmos back then and I wasn't much of a doodler. I took ball
> point pens apart and put then back together
> millions of times in school. I had to do something to keep part of me busy or
> my mind was gone somewhere else - which
> causes endless trouble.

I still do that to my pens. I'd even stretch the springs out a little
more to get more height out of the pens.

> May they lessen in intensity and frequency, brother!

As mentioned, it does go cyclical. Fortunately, no meds required.
Growing up, I lived under the belt. My mom must have broken dozens of
yard sticks on my behind. She'd break then, take the broken halves,
put them together and keep cracking away, until they split another
time. Four together did start to hurt a bit. Especially when she
turned them sideways!!! I'll never forget my first experience with
developing wisdom. While dad was administering corrective application
of the belt, I laughed and said that it didn't hurt.

Not a mistake I made twice.

Anyway, the "hyperactive" aspect of ADHD was beat of out me pretty
good as a child, but the other aspects were still pretty strong. You
can discipline the one aspect, but I don't think you can the other.
Regardless, I've never used it as an excuse to prevent success.

AG