Re: [OM] [OT] ADHD

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] ADHD
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:19:54 -0700
On 3/15/2012 7:54 AM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
> Count me in there, too...
>
> Although I don't think the term ADHD had been invented yet, back-in-the-day,
> when I went to school.

Are you sure all you guys had something wrong with you? Might it just have been
that school was trying to bore you to death?

Attention Deficit = Unable to suppress normal brain function enough to pay
close attention to something nowhere near
worth the attention.

Hyperactivity = Normal child denied healthy outlets for normal energy.

Yes, I know there are people with real problems, but see the diagnosis being
mis and over used.

I was able to handle most of it, but occasionally ...

I was so thankful for those teachers who were actually interested and knew how
to convey that enthusiasm for their
subjects. Slightly less so, but still so thankful for those few who would turn
a blind eye when one paid no attention in
class, as long as test results were fine.

I was, for reasons unclear to me, assigned to an English Lit class filled with
the 'social' kids, including the
inevitable cut-ups. After the first day, I caught something and wasn't back for
a week. The old gorgon in front of the
class clearly had the upper hand. She was droning on with names, titles and
dates not far past Beowulf. All the students
were frantically taking it all down. After a few minutes, I left and went
straight to my counselor's office and barged in.

I told him it was either another teacher or a battle between her and me.
Considering the outcome of a young Moose vs.
his homeroom teacher confrontation, which involved a visit with the Dean of
Men, who was also  city cop, he found me a
better class. What a delight! One of the best teachers I've ever had, for both
English and then American Lit.

Sometimes ya gotta stand up for your brain.

No Crap Moose