Re: [OM] IMG: A Couple of Film Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Couple of Film Images
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:45:14 -0600
Thanks, again, Moose.  You have given me a lot of food for thought.

This camera has an electronic shutter, and I am shooting in what they term
"AE Mode", or aperture-preferred.  In looking at the negatives, they all
seem to be properly exposed and of similar density, though they cover a wide
variety of subjects and lighting conditions. The negatives for "friends" and
"self-portrait" seem to be very similar.

I see what you call "grain" in the reflection of the blade, but I had not
even noticed it.

In fact, I dusted off my light box and got out my loupe, and I can find no
problem with the negatives.  My judgement on the exposure compensation was
based on the images on the CD, which appear lighter than normal.  So, do I
decrease the exposure, in order to get a darker CD?  After all, that is what
I work from in the long term, since I gave my old scanner to my son.

You are correct, the trial version of NI supports only 8-bit files.  If I
recall the sales literature, the "home" version they sell is 8-bit, while
the "Pro" version is 16-bit.  The extra money might be worth it for
simplified work flow.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my arms around all this.  And, I may try to locate
a source of Portra 400, which everyone seems to rave about.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA