Re: [OM] IMG: A Couple of Film Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Couple of Film Images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:08:30 -0800
On 1/26/2012 3:59 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Thanks for your comments, Moose.  I got a few nice images from that roll,
> out in the bright sunlight.  Here is one, a self-portrait of me in a shiny
> prop spinner.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Self-Portrait+02.jpg.html
>
> The colors on this are fine, and I see no grain or noise.

There is certainly grain, look at the shadow of the blade on the chrome, but it
doesn't cause trouble.

> I have three more rolls of it, and I plan to add a little negative exposure
> compensation when I shoot the next one.  With this processing lab, it
> appears to need that.

I'm not so sure. How do the negs of 'friends' and 'self portrait' compare in
overall density? In my scans, grain is more
prominent in less exposed areas and/or areas with no detail. if the 'friends'
neg is thinner/lighter looking, it is
underexposed, relatively speaking, and the higher grain/noise may be a result
of that.

That would argue for positive exposure comp. on the indoor shots. Color Neg
film has lots of overexposure tolerance,
less on the under side. 'Self portrait' looks not to have any clipped
highlights other than the specular highlights on
the chrome. You would have to go down several stops to avoid that, and wouldn't
want to. I don't think you need any more
than at most 1/3 stop less exposure on that shot - it's probably perfectly
exposed if scanning were 16 bit and done right.

You might try some tests in room light like that in 'friends', exposing at +
1/2, +1, +1 1/2 and +2 stops. You may well
find that the auto scanning process compensates for the exposure and the noise
goes down.

> In checking online, I find that Kodak is advertising this film as the
> greatest consumer film out there, so maybe it is just my techniques and lab
> choices.  Perhaps the next roll will alter my opinion.
>
> I do have one more problem.  I am still using the trial version of NI, and
> it is size-limited, so I can't apply that until I reduce the size, which I
> can't do until I finish with some other editing.  Perhaps I need to bite the
> bullet and get the full NI program.

As I recall, from some time ago, the trial version is also limited to 8 bit.
Even if the scans are 8 bit, you should be
doing editing in 16 bit, even if you go back to 8 at the end. Does the trial
version allow saving and using profiles?
It's really a help to be able to save film profiles, and NR settings for
different films and cameras/ISOs.

Over Exposed Moose