Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest

Subject: Re: [OM] Site of the last self-propelled Zuikofest
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:34:50 -0800
On 1/25/2012 4:59 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012, at 09:36 PM, Moose wrote:
>> On 1/24/2012 6:31 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>>
>>> This stuff makes it "just different":
>>>
>>> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/IRNP/album/Rock%20Harbor/slides/_9055119.html
>>>
>>> I could not get a single photo that did justice to the impression when
>>> one comes up on a whole area overtaken by old man's beard.
>> Areas like that aren't uncommon around the country, but uncommonly
>> difficult to photograph well, at least for small
>> prints or the web.
>>
>> I think it's the way our eyes work. With overall vision showing a wide
>> area, and a narrow, moving spot of sharp focus,
>> our mind produces an apparent image of a wide area with lots of sharp
>> detail. That 'look' is quite hard to recreate in
>> anything but a pretty large print.
> That's what I think too.  I often close one eye to flatten the scene to
> two dimensions.  That sometimes provides the proper jolt of reality as
> to what a photograph is likely to turn out to be.  (I still tried a few
> anyway ... seemed like there was always something wrong -- too much DOF,
> or not enough, etc.)

Thanks, I'll try to remember to try that.

>> I recall stopping quickly and getting out to shoot this one, because it
>> so impressed me. Lost, as usual with such
>> subjects, between a wider view and a closer one showing detail, I made
>> this image that's not much of anything other than
>> a memory jogger.
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Monterey%20-%20June%202006/Point%20Lobos/slides/_MG_0419.html>
> I think it is still successful, just in another way.  At least you've
> got a subject of interest in a kind of isolation.  But I'm sure it's not
> the effect that impressed you.

Yup, that's it. Mot a bod shot, but not what I wished for.

>>> I'm kind of glad we had almost entirely sunny days.  It has the feeling of
>>> a crypt and hauntings and dead sailors walking in out of the deep.
>> Could be worse, kudzu that wraps you up in the sea of green before you
>> can get out. :-)
> Kudzu, tragic as it is, is banal by comparison:
>
> http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198795_1906625826303_1261510733_31664688_3164852_n.jpg

You can still see the structures! On the Lookout Mountain Tram in
Alabama/Tennessee, you pass areas where literally
everything is completely covered. Just shapes covered in green.

> You and Carol might really enjoy Isle Royale.  One can be as strenuous
> or leisurely as the spirit moves.  Just hanging around Rock Harbor,
> which has a good lodge and nice restaurant, is pleasant with infinite
> nooks and crannies of rock, foliage, and water.

We may have to. I bought this lovely little leather bound book with maps and
info on all the Nat'l Parks, Monuments,
Seashores, etc. in Glacier. Only got stamps for Acadia, Glacier and Cape Cod so
far. :-)

> I heard or read somewhere that the average tourist spends 40 minutes at the
> Grand Canyon and 4 days on Isle Royale.

There are parks like that. Crater Lake isn't god for more than a relatively
short visit.

Park Ranger Moose