Re: [OM] LR at 300 dpi was Sagelight editor

Subject: Re: [OM] LR at 300 dpi was Sagelight editor
From: Candace <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:03:25 -0700
Hi Moose,

On 1/22/12 10:48 PM, Moose wrote:
> Just to make sure you know what you are doing ... When you specify both size
> and dpi, the only way PS (or any editor)
> can usually accomplish that is by playing with the pixels - either upsizing,
> as in the example above, or downsampling.
Yes, I am aware of this. :-)

> At the bottom of the Image Size panel, you can choose whether to allow
> resizing and what algorithm to use. That's all
> very well, except if you are resizing for printing. No printer is a straight
> 240 or 300 ppi device. They all work with
> the image data fed to them to determine which dots will be squirted where.
Yes, you are correct. :-)

> You have a choice. Pre adjust the image to a set dpi for your printer,
> without the resizing algorithm knowing anything
> about what is going to be done with the data. Or leave the pixels as they
> came from the camera (Which has no inherent
> dpi.) and let the print driver/RIP do the resizing, using its knowledge of
> how the printer actually works. Generally,
> the answer is to just try both with your particular software and printer.
I really print almost nothing at home, 99% of my images are printed by
labs, with about 90% being printed locally, and 9% from online companies.

> As extreme example was when I was helping a friend with some much too small
> images we found on the web of people he
> wanted to talk about in a university lecture. Using every uprezzing tool I
> had gave just terrible results. I then tried
> printer driver Qimage. The prints it made were head and shoulders, maybe
> torso too, better than I had been able to
> achieve before. I actually printed and scanned them for better digital
> results than uprezzing.
I have heard that from others. I did not find it to work as well when I
used a trial version several years ago. It's not something I have a need
for, though.

The LR comment about 300dpi that I made was simply my stating that I
wondered what setting LR was default set to, as I couldn't find that,
and had no idea what was happening when I applied a crop within LR.