Re: [OM] LR at 300 dpi was Sagelight editor

Subject: Re: [OM] LR at 300 dpi was Sagelight editor
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 21:48:41 -0800
On 1/19/2012 7:11 AM, Candace wrote:
> So, let's say in CS5 I chose to crop an image to 8x10. Even if I
> foolishly choose to crop in very tight, CS5 will save at 300 dpi. (When
> one has the settings purposely set that way).

Just to make sure you know what you are doing ... When you specify both size
and dpi, the only way PS (or any editor)
can usually accomplish that is by playing with the pixels - either upsizing, as
in the example above, or downsampling.

At the bottom of the Image Size panel, you can choose whether to allow resizing
and what algorithm to use. That's all
very well, except if you are resizing for printing. No printer is a straight
240 or 300 ppi device. They all work with
the image data fed to them to determine which dots will be squirted where.

You have a choice. Pre adjust the image to a set dpi for your printer, without
the resizing algorithm knowing anything
about what is going to be done with the data. Or leave the pixels as they came
from the camera (Which has no inherent
dpi.) and let the print driver/RIP do the resizing, using its knowledge of how
the printer actually works. Generally,
the answer is to just try both with your particular software and printer.

As extreme example was when I was helping a friend with some much too small
images we found on the web of people he
wanted to talk about in a university lecture. Using every uprezzing tool I had
gave just terrible results. I then tried
printer driver Qimage. The prints it made were head and shoulders, maybe torso
too, better than I had been able to
achieve before. I actually printed and scanned them for better digital results
than uprezzing.

I'll be commenting separately on Bob's comments on dpi/ppi in LR.

Moose