Re: [OM] Bibble=>AfterShot [was Sagelight editor]

Subject: Re: [OM] Bibble=>AfterShot [was Sagelight editor]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:43:10 -0500
I found your "easy as that" instructions hard to follow.  Last I knew
ISO 400 was two stops above ISO 100, not "three or four stops".  I can
"spot meter the highlight" with the camera but not with my Sekonic
L-358.  Maybe I misunderstood the model number you used before (your
original mail is on another computer) but my L-358 does not do spot
metering.

A two stop difference is what the OM-4 highlight button does.  Why do I
want to use three or four stops and how do I know which?  One simple
test exposure or more complicated than that?

Sounds to me that the extra meter here is an additional complication.
While the camera doesn't have ISO1 and ISO2 settings for instant
readouts at the push of a button, if I'm shooting in bright sun over an
extended period of time why would I not just set the camera's ISO to
whatever magic number is required and only ever use spot metering on
highlights with the camera?  Sounds to me like that would be much faster
and easier.  No extra meter to carry around and no settings to transfer
anywhere.

The real key is the *reliable* determination of the clipping point.  If
there's not a reliable fixed point then using "three or four" is no
protection since there's still the possibility of a one stop error.

Chuck Norcutt