[OM] Tripod resonance

Subject: [OM] Tripod resonance
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 19:49:32 -0400 (EDT)
Perhaps Gitzo has been resting on their laurels too long. The
Markins base is purported to help
dampen some. Haven't seen too much recent data though. My Gitzo 2541 is
great for macro and I don't require any Cullman extension arm.
It travels well, but the cost is some stability with long lenses. I had
a bit of trouble with the 750 Celestron  on one occassion  going after
a bald Eagle though it was very windy.   I got a few looks from the
birders mounting a tiny OM on the back of it.  It is still  a very nice
'pod.

markins.com/charlie/report4e6.pdf

No such thing as Good  Vibrations, Mike

RRS definitely has the Bling Factor down. The Gitzo appears low tech
industrial in comparison. RRS also gives a 50 lb rating compared to the
similarly sized Gitzo 3's 40 lb rating.
My abused Manfrotto appears to have most of the movement where the
center
post is clamped. I think they've improved that.

Jeff