Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]

Subject: Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:41:26 -0700
On 9/17/2011 12:35 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Moose wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, edge detection and/or smart radius may make selection of foliage
>> better for making a sky mask, as I was just
>> describing.
> There are a couple of other tricks, too, mostly from the wild-hair school of
> portrait photography. I haven't tried them yet, but they involve odd blend
> modes and such, but do a good job of hiding the kind of effects that a blue
> sky might produce in the tops of trees and such. Mostly the tricks are used
> by compositors in removing a subject from one background and placing it on
> another.

Links to tutorials, etc?

>> Often sheer magic, sometimes frustrating. When it goes bad, fixating on some
>> inappropriate source, I still sometimes
>> can't find a solution. The two tools work together well. I often use Refine
>> Edge=>Shift edge and =>Feather to expand
>> and blend the edge of a selection for Content Aware Fill. With the Smart
>> Healing Brush Tool, Content Aware and
>> Proximity Match each have their place, depending on the content.
> Yep. I hit some content-aware roadblocks, but by and large it's a real
> winner. I find it especially useful when I've fixed perspective in a wide
> angle shot. When then saved to a .psd file, the fixed distortion image has a
> nice gray area where the vertical or horizontal fix has been made. The old
> way was to crop the image, which meant you might as well have used that 35mm
> lens rather than the 24. With content aware, you use the magic wand, select
> the gray, and fill>content aware. There's usually a faint line where the
> filling occurred, but that's an easy fix with the healing brush.

That's exactly the kind of situation where expanding and feathering the
selection with Refine Edge is useful. Do that
right, and there's no edge lie to fix. I've done the same thing with
perspective/distortion corrections.

> http://www.bobwhitmire.com/newharbor.html
>
> The last image was done this way. I used a 21mm lens, but had to tilt up
> slightly to get all of the rainbow. Content-aware fill took care of the mess
> I made when straightening the perspective. At least I think it did. Now that
> I've focused Moosevision on it, I wonder.<g>

Nope, on to other things. Too much on the To Do list. I shouldn't be spending
this time on this list today. :-)

Moose