Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]

Subject: Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:48:38 -0400
That's kinda the way I do it. Don't always do the math, but I know that if I
sharpen at 100 percent, or "actual pixels", I don't get a good representation.
The sharpening program I use, from Pixel Genius, is, I think, one that Fraser
either developed or helped develop. It has separate modules for capture
sharpening, creative sharpening, and output sharpening. The modules come with
layer masks, which I frequently use to soften sharpening effects in skies or
water, or to brush in sharpening where I'd like to have more of it.

The advice to blow up to full size and crop out is similar to something I heard
in John Paul Caponigro's printing workshop. He always prints a strip of the
image at the final size to make sure there aren't artifacts he couldn't see on
the screen. Usually his strip contains some each of foreground, midground and
sky. But then a lot of his prints are 40x60 and such. I usually just make a
test print on Epson's Ultra Premium Matte Paper (which isn't) at the final size
and inspect it. One good thing about UPPM is that it holds a lot of detail. If
something doesn't show on UPPM, it isn't likely to show on Ultra Smooth Fine
Art, Velvet Fine Art, or some of the other papers I use. If I were doing 40x60
prints, I doubt I'd do that. <g>

--Bob