Re: [OM] Any scanning suggestions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any scanning suggestions?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 12:28:35 -0700
On 9/17/2011 9:15 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> ...  No matter what I do, what I can just barely see with my eye stands out
> like a sore thumb in the scan. I know how to fix it.  I discovered that I can
> make another layer, increase the contrast until the gray disappears, add a
> mask to reveal the original and then paint with white to reveal the darkened
> area above

Do more pre-selection. Try Select=>Color Range=>Shadows*, use the Quick
Selection Tool, the Polygonal Lasso Tool and/or
other selection tools to select and deselect areas until you are at least
close, then Add Layer Mask (The gray rectangle
with white circle in the middle icon on the bottom of the Layer Palette.)

Then all the brushing needed, if any is edge refinements. I very seldom start
using the brush on a blank mask.

> . Works OK but is very tedious to blend in properly with the brush.
>
> I've never seen scan behavior like this before.  Anyone have an idea
> about how to avoid the problem during the scan?

As AG suggested, in a slightly different context, hang up or lay on copy stand
and shoot with 5D and macro lens. That
will easily capture all the detail in an 8x10 print. Proper lighting will
eliminate the reflective effect that's giving
you problems.

Moose

* Creating a duplicate layer and applying + or - Brightness may be used to vary
the areas selected this way, then the
Marquee and Lasso tools to do mass un-selection of other areas.