Re: [OM] M42 to OM 4/3 Adapters Revisited Again

Subject: Re: [OM] M42 to OM 4/3 Adapters Revisited Again
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:52:56 -0700

>      This one is 0.265" (6.73mm) thick, and on my Vivitar 55-135mm f/3.5
T4
> lens it allows for focusing just slightly beyond infinity.  Also, the
> threaded portion is attached to the bayonet portion with three set screws,
> so you can adjust the lens position when it is mounted on the camera.  The
> two parts fit together snugly with virtually no play.  The threaded
portion
> is made of aluminum, and the bayonet portion is black anodized hard brass,
> so it's a bit on the heavy side.
>
> > Watch out for set screws.  I believe there has been more than one person
> > on this list who has had an adapter fall apart while in use due to
> > loosening set screws.

    For now I can't even slip a piece of paper between the threaded portion
and the bayonet portion.  The set screws are hex socket head 1.5mm screws,
and I don't have a driver small enough to remove them.  I will have one
later, though, as I need to remove the ring and make some measurements for
the aperture pin holddown ring that I'll be making.

    The first one of these that I bought over a year ago, which is too thick
to be of any use, also has set screws holding the threaded portion.  That
ring has a chamfer so that when you tighten the screws it presses the two
portions together and prevents the threaded portion from falling out if the
screws become loose.  I suspect that this one is similar but I won't know
for certain until I get a hex driver that fits the screws.

    For now, I'm just happy that I finally have one that fits so that I can
focus to infinity.  Now I can make use of all my Vivitar T4 lenses.  The
55-135mm f/3.5 may turn out to be a good wildflower lens.  I've been using
it in the garden for lightmeter testing.

Chris