[OM] M42 to OM 4/3 Adapters Revisited

Subject: [OM] M42 to OM 4/3 Adapters Revisited
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 07:27:08 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I got my thin M42 to OM 4/3 adapter ring yesterday, and it's a bit of a
bust.  First, the bayonets are not properly machined and the ring will not
mount fully on the camera body.

     Worst is that the aperature pin at the bottom of the lens interferes with
the camera bayonet ring.  When I first tried using this I could not get the
lens plus adapter off the camera body.  Fortunately, by rotating the stop-down
wheel and shaking with the lens pointed down I was able to retract the pin and
get the lens off.  Now I see why all the other M42 adapter rings are so thick.

     This is really discouraging.  However, I found that my TX Nikon F mount
adapter also fits the T4 lenses, which is a tremendous blessing.  Adding a
Nikon AI to OM 4/3 adapter I found that I can use all of my T4 and TX lenses
except for the 400mm f/6.8 T4.  Removing the Nikon AI to OM 4/3 adapter I found
that this was also true with a Nikon film camera body.

     It's now obvious that the problem has not been the thickness of the M42
mount plus adapter, but instead is an internal problem with the 400mm f/6.8 T4
lens.  Now I just need to find out how you adjust the infinity position of the
focusing group inside the lens.  This is not a real problem as I also have the
400mm f/5.6 TX version, and it works just fine.

     Overall, the thin M42 to OM 4/3 adapter is a bad investment and it has
been relegated to the junk box.  However, now that I know I can use the TX
Nikon F mount with the Nikon AI to OM 4/3 adapter with both the T4 and TX
lenses (except for the 400mm f/6.8 T4) I couldn't be happier, especially since
I can now use the 55-135mm f/3.5 T4 zoom.

     I'm going to go back and see if I can actually use the T4 and TX M42
mounts with the M42 to OM 4/3 adapter.

Chris