Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:44:58 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> Nathan and I have a K-5 each, with which we are very happy.  It is
weather-proof
> (I've had rain on mine with its WR kit lens), compact and excellent at
high ISOs.  I
> now shoot with Auto-ISO in daylight.

> I have to confess that I am selling my E-PL2 and stuff to buy a second
Pentacchio
> body and 35/2.4, perhaps with a flash.

Yes, the K-5 is high on my list. I wish it had an articulated screen,
which I love using on my G1.  It makes the G1 into a little electronic
Rolleiflex. But beyond that, the K-5 seems like a really nice camera. Dual
control wheels, good high ISO, class-leading dynamic range. The "Limited"
lenses are stellar, but expen$$ive. There's plenty of old glass to play
with, which is comparitively well-supported.  Since Pentax been bought
twice recently, there is some concern, but it seems like Konica plans to
keep the line going.  I have to actually play with a K-5. So far I haven't
found one in a store.

The major reason I bypassed the EP "Pen" cameras can be summed up in two
words: No Viewfinder. The Pens have in-body image stabilization, but I
want a decent eye-level finder.  The Panny has a very good one, as EVFs
go, and the lightness, versatility and "fun factor" made it my choice. In
many ways it combines the best of technology (including that of video
cameras) and DSLRs. Live-view histogram, goooood! Shutter lag, long
blackout, noise and dynamic range not so good.

--Peter