Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:39:14 -0700
On 9/1/2011 3:57 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
> Greetings, Zuiks.  I've been away for quite a while, but was very active
> on this list some years ago.

Hi Peter, nice to 'hear' from you again.

> * Part I:  The problem ---------
>
> I recently took out my OM-2 to exercise the shutter (haven't used it in
> quite a while). Tripped the shutter. The mirror went down, but did not
> come back up. The Reset (*/B position of shutter speed dial) did nothing.
> Hmmm.
>
> Changed to brand new batteries.  Nothing. Took lens off.  Nothing. Battery
> tests fine. Went through all speeds, ISO settings and both auto and manual
> modes. No joy. Left camera on B all night. Batteries drained, but still no
> joy.
>
> Then I realized that the shutter curtain was still showing the pixelated
> black and white metering pattern, not a plain black curtain. I guess the
> shutter isn't firing.
>
> Is there any do-it-yourself solution?

One hesitates to suggest this, but the solution re-proposed a couple of days
ago for an OMPC suggests itself. You might
try giving it a few solid whacks against your palm in various directions.

> Or is this a case of send the camera
> to John H for a CLA?  The CLA will cost as much or more than the camera is
> worth. Or I could sell the OM-2 for parts.
>
> ...which leads to:
>
> * Part II: The quandry ----------

> The DSLRs I've been considering include the Nikon D700 (for ultimate high
> ISO ability), or either the D7000 or Pentak K-5, for that wonderful new
> sensor, better high ISO, and dynamic range. None of these cameras will
> take OM Zuikos. Canons will, but they interest me much less, and I don't
> think one should choose a camera based on whether it will take another
> brand's manual focus legacy lenses, which I know I'll only occasionally
> use.

Wellll . . . I did that, chose Canon over other DSLR choices, based at least in
part on the better high ISO noise and AF
performance vs. the E-1. The rest of the equation was that the Canon could
accommodate my many OM mount lenses. That was
in 2004, and I've had no regrets, quite the reverse, if anything. If I had gone
N, P, etc. I imagine I'd have had good
experience as well, although for a few years, I think the 5D was unique.

I've gone almost completely to AF lenses for everyday use, but still
occasionally use an OM mount lens, especially the
Tokina 600/8, and my 65-116 tube and bellows are fully useful on the Canons.
I'd always leaned toward Nikon* and thought
less well of Canon through my OM, film years. I've since gone quite brand
agnostic, and chose my first DSLR that way,
and I think it was the right choice. I've got Canon DLSRs hanging off me
without any particular pro Canon feelings.

I do a lot of reading and some interior imagining, visualizing how I believe I
will use the camera, what's important to
me when I'm using a camera, what is inadequate about the camera(s) I already
have. Most often, that leads to buying
nothing and waiting for the right thing to appear. Come to think of it, this
goes way back in to the film era. I looked
at one small rangefinder after another until the XA came out. I was pleased
that it was an Oly, but would have chosen it
whoever made it.

Over the last 2-3 years, I've been waiting for a DSLR with a particular set of
characteristics, including fully
articulated screen, dual control wheels, etc. Several candidates excited my
interest, then fell by the wayside. Then the
60D came along, meeting virtually all I wanted - and requiring no different
lens mount (although I will need a different
WA zoom). I received it four months ago, it's got 3150+ shots on the clock, and
I'm still in love.

I can't see myself buying a DSLR without articulated screen, so the Pentax and
higher end Nikons wouldn't interest me.
The new D5100 goes from half way to fully articulated, but I know nothing about
its other attributes - except that it
will undoubtedly trounce the E-thingies on noise.

I think the IQ differences between equivalent models of the major brands of APS
to FF DSLRs are nil in practical use.

And I'm pretty much appearance agnostic. I realized during the recent thread
about camera/lens esthetics that I actually
had no opinion about the appearance of the 60D, or 5D, for that matter. They
look like what they are, and like a jillion
others, and do what they are supposed to do very well.

> So on one hand I'm tempted to just bag the OM system entirely and sell the
> lenses to those who would still appreciate them.  And then the spirit of
> Jane Bown whispers in my ear, "Keep them. You might take a few nice B&W's
> now and then. Get an OM-1, which will still work even if the meter
> electronics rot.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yeah, I should thin the herd, but the kids are going to find a handful of OM
bits and pieces when they clean up after
me. :-)

Moose

* I had a Nikon Ftn before OMs came along.