Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:36:32 -0700
A big thank-you to AG, Chuck, Moose, and Chris. Several messages with
specifics follow.

AG Schnozz wrote:
> Of course, it really does depend on what Zuikos you have. If they are
> mostly normal fodder, then a switch of systems might be justified. But
> if you have some higher-end glass, then keeping them around will give
> you the pleasure of using exceptional glass with unique drawing styles
> on modern sensors.

Well, let's see.  I have a couple of 50/1.4 lenses.  One has a serial
number in the 600,000s, I think. This I'll be selling soon.  The other is
S/N 1,051,xxx, which is in the really good late batch. I've used that a
bit on my Panny G1 in the theater or concert hall. It does reasonably well
wide open, but my Voigtlander 50/1.5 (for Leica) is a bit better.

A 50/3.5 SC macro. This takes really good, detailed photos. I've used it
on both the G1 and E-520.

100/2.8:  Nice occasionally as a 200mm equivalent, I give up autofocus for
a stop more speed than my 40-150 3.5/4.5.

135/3.5: Decent on the E-520, but out of focus highlights have
green/magenta "rainbows" within the discs.

28/2.8: I gave up using this on digital, too hard to focus for too little
reward.

Plus a 50/1.8 "Japan" (penultimate version), another broken 50/1.8, some
extension tubes, and a surprisingly good Vivitar "macro zoom" 70(?)-150mm
and has a matched teleconverter. I've used the combination on the E-520 to
photograph the moon.

Unless I keep a film body, the only ones I think would realistically be
useful are the later 50/1.4 and the 50/3.5 macro, maybe the 100/2.8

--Peter