Re: [OM] IMGs Summer Señoritas [ref: multitasking on the beach & bike po

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs Summer Señoritas [ref: multitasking on the beach & bike porn]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:44:53 -0700
On 9/2/2011 7:20 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Pretty steady hand, or were you using a monopod or some such?

I do have a pretty steady hand, but it wasn't tested too much for these. The
60D is a relatively light DSLR and the non
IS/VC Tammy 28-300 (which is sharper at the long end than at least my copy of
the VC version) is relatively light. So
the package is at that sweet spot, solid enough not to be flighty, light enough
not to fatigue my hands and arms too easily.

A bright summer day, so mostly 1/1000-1/1250 sec., ISO 400, f8. The old formula
suggests 1/500 for 480mm eq., I doubled
that, and all was well, even though many are cropped.

The 60D has a setting called Highlight Tone Priority. What it means is that
everything is really shot one stop lower on
the ISO scale (ISO 400 shots are really shot at about 200), then a curve pulls
up midtones and shadows. Quite useful
where highlights are an issue; it gives at least as much highlight recovery
possibility as on the 5D. The price is
slightly more noise in the shadows, which is a  non-issue for these subjects.

It is an issue for darker subjects, as the 60D already has slightly more noise
than the 5D at low to mid ISOs,
especially in deep shadow. So I'm finally using a custom setting on a camera.
"C" is f8, auto ISO 100-800 and Highlight
Tone Priority OFF. Flip to aperture priority and Highlight Tone Priority is ON.
That way, I don't have to go into menus
to change it when out in nature where dynamic range and emphasis on highlights
or shadows can change from shot to shot.

For example, the slug mating shot I posted was shot at ISO 100, Highlight Tone
Priority OFF on a tripod, and noise is
very subtle and easily corrected.

Steady Hand Moose