Re: [OM] donuts in a Zeiss Makro Planar !?

Subject: Re: [OM] donuts in a Zeiss Makro Planar !?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:00:48 -0700
On 7/12/2011 2:31 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> . . .
>
> Since the Moose brought it up, the Zuiko 50/3.5 is one of those strange
> beasts. When focused close, the background OOF highlights may go edgy

Only when the background is far away. Near backgrounds are fine.

> , but when focused at normal distances (2-4 meters), combined with a stopdown
> F5.6,

Yes, it's fine at non close-up distances. I've only had real trouble with the
macro subject and distant background
situations. My solution has been simple; don't use it in the field. The 50/1.8s
are much the same, as in the image I
just posted. I think the 50/1.4s are similar, but perhaps not quite as bad.

> this lens can get downright classical in nature and punches way above its
> weight.

I never know quite what you mean when you talk this way. Oh well.

I found it to be a wonderful flat field macro lens that also works fine as a
normal 50. I've never seen any advantage to
using it over the 'normal' 50s at normal focal distances, while the normals
ones have advantages from their greater speed.

Moose