[OM] On again [was Off Again]

Subject: [OM] On again [was Off Again]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:29:20 -0700
On 6/14/2011 12:09 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Now, would that be someplace a way far out in nature, but not Patagonia, or
> someplace pretty, out in nature?<wink>

Hah, I should know better than to even dash off a quick note without scanning
for possible ambiguities. :-)

The latter, in this case, although the former, in the sense that there is no
cell phone service. Off the grid a couple
of miles or a couple of thousand is much the same, no?

Although we thought we might visit a couple of places, we found such a great
campsite at Calaveras Big Trees SP that we
just stayed there.
<http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/551/files/CalaverasBigTreesWebBrochure2010.pdf>

Between some serious 'just hangin'" time, visits to both groves of giant
sequoias (one v. easy, one fairly strenuous)
and visits to a pretty cavern and an old gold rush era town/park, we found our
time very pleasantly filled. Perfect
weather and almost no mosquitoes!

Most spectacular sighting, a pileated woodpecker. I saw a woodpecker fly down
behind a tree just behind where Carol was
sitting and told her to quietly turn her head. Her eyes got big; a pileated
woodpecker not more than 6 feet away, right
at her eye level. I couldn't see it then. It flew out onto a fallen tree across
the little creek, so I got a good look
12-15 feet away, but it proved to be camera shy, leaving as soon as I started
to raise the camera.

Backlog of posts down to about half of the 200+ I came home to - still wading.

Moose