Re: [OM] IMG: A Little Something

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A Little Something
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:55:36 -0400
At 18 MP the Canon 60D should be diffraction limited to red light at
f/5.6 or green at about f/7.1.  Blue doesn't get hit until about f/9-10
but there's little blue in your image.  At f/16 the diffraction limits
are 2 MP for red, 3 MP for green and 6 MP for blue.

I'm going to guess that the height of the full image is roughly 2" which
would make the distance from image plane to subject at 135mm about 18".
  Getting a depth of field of even 1/2" at that distance, aperture and
focal length implies a resolution limit of about 0.6 MP for the entire
image.

There's nothing wrong with the image.  It looks very good.  But the
resolving power of the sensor isn't being taxed at all.  You're just not
aware of how much detail has not been recorded.

If you were to shoot a flat, high resolution target (to get rid of the
DOF effect) at f/5.6 and again at f/16 you'd see it.

Chuck Norcutt