Re: [OM] (OT, kinda) Helping a nephew

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT, kinda) Helping a nephew
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:01:57 +1000
Some fair comments so far. I'd look for a used lens. You need a 21mm equivalent
for interiors so at least a 14mm-something. That length give an intimate point
of view in bedrooms, for instance. Wider results in serious distortions that he
won't know how to correct. He needs to do a few hours practice in a couple of
homes, yours, his, until he gets it right. Longish exposure and moderate ISO
with available light is nice, room light left fairly warm looks natural.

The one time I did this sort of work it was to light the room and still see a
magnificent view though the huge windows. We used a couple of monoblocks
triggered by a Nikon flash - on a tripoded Ricoh GR-D with the 21mm converter.
Perfect. The flash is set up is beyond him of course but he could experiment
with long exposure and a cheap manual flash fired from the hand into the shadow
areas? Digital allows experimentation and it would look seriously clever to his
clients. He should be able to develop the skill to a
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx