Re: [OM] Strictly OT: System Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] Strictly OT: System Crash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:27:07 -0400
Since the drive is 6 years old it may be PATA or SATA 1.  It might be
difficult to locate such a drive since technology has already moved on
to SATA 3.  There are SATA 2 drives that can throttle back to SATA 1
rates but they are also getting hard to find.  I was searching for one
for a friend several days ago and the only thing I could find was a 320
GB refurbished Hitachi drive.  The following is from my note to him of
the other day
I've been having difficulty finding a drive which is SATA 1 (1.5 Gbps)
compatible.  Current drives on the market are SATA II (3Gps) or SATA III
(6Gbps).  I thought the faster drives would throttle back on detecting
an SATA 1 controller but compatibility seems to be a mixed bag.  I
couldn't find any claims of 1.5Gbps compatibility in the mix of
currently available SATA II/III drives.

I eventually had to resort to looking for an older, refurbished drive to
find one that runs at 1.5Gbps.  This Hitachi model claims to run at
1.5Gbps by default.  But that's a one line statement in a several
hundred page specification.  I can't find any way in that document to
switch it to 3Gbps so I assume that the drive must configure itself to
the speed of the controller.  All the more important that you get the
BlacX device that I pointed out that speaks both SATA and USB.  It could
prove important later on when trying to move data off the backup drive
to a new computer if yours should completely fail and SATA  version
compatibility turns out to be a problem.

Anyhow, here's the link
<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HDS725050KLA360-NDW-R&cat=HDD>

Geeks.com deals in a lot of refurbished gear.  I haven't bought anything
from them lately but used to buy there fairly regularly.  I consider
them a reliable supplier.

I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to clone my drives.  It's old software
which runs fine on XP but later versions (when they changed to year
numbers for release numbers) seem to be somewhat buggy.  You can still
find 9.0 but you'll likely pay new prices for it.  I think now that I'd
try FOG <http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/>  It has good
reviews but, being a free software foundation project, who knows what
the user interface is like.  It could be simple and easy to operate or
could also be a bear.

If you're cloning or backing up to SATA drives then the BlacX is a good
solution.
<<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071&cm_re=blacx_docking_station-_-17-153-071-_-Product>>

  Moose and I have them.  They come in USB only or USB/eSATA combo
interfaces.  I suggest the latter although it costs a bit more than USB
only.

Chuck Norcutt